"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









May 8, 2010

Close encounters

I love learning about the lives of the saints. The way they lived their lives has a lot to teach us if we would only listen and follow their lead. But that is easier said than done because we can be weak, easily distracted and fall into temptation.

As I encounter various saints, I am seeing that they seem to have some things in common. They are faithful to a fault and that would often put people off but at the same time their faithfulness would inspire others. They seemed to have had passion for something - Mother Theresa for a cause to help the poor, Joan of Arc to follow through on what she was told to do, Francis of Assisi who radically lived for Christ.I also see that they were single hearted for God, and everything else came second. I also see that they annoyed people. People thought that Joan of Arc was an arrogant youth, that Francis was embarrasing, Therese of Lisieux annoyed the other sisters in her convent because she was so obedient to a fault, etc... They also were joyful too, but not in a superficial way. It was like they had some interior secret that gave them a great perspective on life and that perspective influenced all their words and actions. They realized that they were sinful. They were prayerful people. They loved deeply. They weren't materialistic. They loved the Church even with its faults. They were open to do God's will at the cost of their lives.

Now, what about you and me? Do we have it in us to become saints? Since we are called to be saints I suppose somewhere deep inside we must have it in us. Perhaps our life's work is to find out how to do what they did and be able to leave this world as bonafide saints when our death comes? I don't know....but this is what I'm thinking tonight anyway.

Dear Jesus, give us the strength to become saints. Protect us from temptation and distractions and sin. Help us stay focused on our calling. We can only do this with your strength and grace. Thank you. Mother Mary please pray for us. Amen.