"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









May 11, 2010

A Lobster named Fred

Tonight somebody told me they had a lobster as a pet named Fred. Fred died today, may he rest in peace. But for some reason, this topic really got me thinking....here is Fred, a lobster who is a pet. Another lobster, who will remain nameless, lives in the supermarket and is sold not as a pet, but as something to be eaten. I'm glad someone respected Fred's life and let him live life as a pet,but what about all the other lobsters out there facing death by boiling?

Believe it or not, Fred got me thinking about pro-life issues. Isn't it interesting that in some TV news they say, for instance, that a pregnant woman and her unborn child were killed, but at other times a baby in a womb is just considered a "fetal parasite" as one person put it, and not a human being at all? And then my mind flashes back to Fred the lobster, who, in one home is a pet, but in another, might be boiled alive for dinner. Don't we sometimes do the same with babies - if the baby is in a well to do woman's womb who can afford the baby or who can bring the baby into a loving home, then that is a baby, but if the woman is very young and poor, then perhaps it isn't really a baby after all and should be discarded until the woman can afford a baby or has a husband? I'm wondering how fair that is to any baby in the womb who just wants to be loved by their biological mother, or adoptive mother.

Fred was blessed to be a pet, and would be cursed if he lived in the supermarket. Perhaps you are laughing at my loose connection and perhaps some of you think it is in poor taste to compare a lobster with a human being. I don't, and I'll tell you why. We Americans are fickle when it comes to standing by issues. We have this "sometimes it is" and "sometimes it isn't" mentality when it comes to pro-life issues. It depends what suits us and our needs at any given time. If it is convenient or is the moral high ground at the time, we might be pro-life, but at another moment it might be more convenient to not be pro-life. That is how our media seems to be and I think it trickles down to the mainstream people on the street. Fred is just an example that got me thinking, so in that respect, his little lobster life was used by God to get me thinking. God can work wonders with even the smallest things. In that respect alone, his little lobster life was worth living. Again, rest in peace little Fred.

Now, if only all babies would be as lucky as Fred was and be given the chance to live.