"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









May 12, 2010

Who is God?

I was taking a walk with a three year old boy the other week. We'll call him Joey. We were walking down a long driveway with trees on either side. He has a lot of stressors in his little life and so I was trying to give him some joy and hope. I had him looking around at the trees, squirrels, etc.. and asked him to look high into the sky. Of course, knowing me, the subject of God came up. He looked at me and said "Who is God?".

Wow.

I stopped walking and knelt down in front of him, holding his little arms in my hands. I told him that God was the One who made him. In the childhood innocence of a 3 1/2 year old I saw in his eyes that some grand answer was given to him to a question that he was not even able to put into words. He accepted the answer without hesitation.

Then I told him that God also made me and the squirrels, and the trees, and then he asked me where God was.

Wow again.

So I told him that God was all around us and that he loved us very much, especially little children like him. I told him that even if we couldn't see God with our eyes ( I didn't want to get into the intricacies of how we see God in our daily lives due to his age ), that we could know God was around. I then asked him to close his eyes and to listen to the sound of the breeze, and to feel the breeze on his cheeks. He did so, and his little face was just so open and accepting! I told him that the sound of the breeze was like God's voice and the breeze that he felt on his cheeks was like the breath of God, and it was also like God was giving him a hug, telling him he was near and that he loved him. Again, he accepted this.

Joey started to look really relaxed and pensive. So the three of us - Joey, me, and God - continued our walk together in silence for a little bit. I firmly believe that a tiny mustard seed was planted within him and that it will grow in time.

Thank you Jesus for that opportunity.