"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Jun 9, 2010

The peppermint candy boy

Tonight I want to write about a special little one who made my whole day today. I work with kids. There is a 19 month old little boy who was just full of joy today and there was no stopping him. Boy, I really needed some joy too and God sent me this little bundle dressed in a red and white striped one piece outfit. He looked like a little peppermint striped candy.

Anyway, at lunch time he was having the best time eating his macaroni and cheese. He had a spoon and he used it too. He used it to put the mac and cheese all over himself, including his hair. Laughing the entire time. He twirled the spoon in his hair too. Then whenever somebody walked into the room he would squeel with delight as if he received a great Christmas present. Everyone that came in made him all the more happy.

It made me think about the joy of Christ and the simplicity of little children and how easily they are amused by the smallest things. He had all of us laughing and it was virtually impossible to be in that room and be miserable when he was around.

I need to hang around this little one a bit more often. I hope that more of his joy will rub off on me because I've been way too serious and anxious about many things lately.

God uses so many ordinary experiences to teach us things...even a little babe dressed as a peppermint candy.