"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Apr 21, 2010

Intrigued with saints

Lately I've been thinking about saints. You can probably tell that by a couple of the blogs I've written recently.

So many of the things we read about saints can make us believe that they were so holy throughout their entire lives that their feet hardly even touched the earth. Some of the shows on EWTN explain that saints had hard times too. They had "issues" like the rest of us. They had stressors and made mistakes. Some of them were pretty big sinners until they turned their lives around too. That gives me hope because I mess up every single day. I mean, some days it is pathetic how much I mess up.

It makes me think about who are the "saints in progress" around us each day? I guess we could say that any serious christian is a saint in progress. It is neat how, on EWTN at least, they talk a lot about how we are all called to be saints. It gives us an ultimate life goal to work towards.

That makes me think: if sainthood is seriously the goal of our lives, then what can we do each day to work towards that goal? One of my favorite saints, St. Therese of Lisieux, believed we should do small things with great love. Sounds easier than it is to do. I have tried it. Sometimes I do really great. Other times, not so great.

The church holds out saints to us to encourage us, to ask them to intercede for us, and to be role models for us. Then there is the whole aspect of humility. The saying goes that the minute you think you are humble, you're not. So how does one judge if they are humble or not? That is something I wonder about.

Then there is the problem of being nice to people who are not nice to us - to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. That is very difficult. Sometimes I do it and I don't "feel" love for the person I'm praying for, but I pray for them anyway. I wonder if that is okay? Kind of a "fake it until you make it" sort of theory. Maybe eventually the love will come once you see these enemies in the light of prayer.

I wish there were more spiritual directors in the world to discuss these topics with. I have so much to talk about. I'd love to ponder these questions with someone who has wisdom and time to give. It is difficult. That is one reason why I love to sit in my pew in front of the tabernacle. I bring all my questions to Jesus. He must see me walking into the church and says to Himself "Oh no, here she comes again!" But because He is Jesus, He then says "Oh good - here is an opportunity for me to share myself with someone who wants to listen and learn!". Of course, I'm just using that as an example of course.

Boy, tonight I could write forever. But if you are bored, then you can just click me off. I am wondering also about discerning the will of God for one's life. Sometimes I know that I know that I know I am in God's will and other times, I'm not so sure it is me or God that I'm hearing. But that is a topic for another day: perhaps tomorrow.

Until then, let's continue to be intrigued with saints, because in doing so, we just might find inspiration to live more holy lives ourselves.