"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Apr 18, 2010

Jesus, the ultimate friend

Jesus has lots of wonderful titles: Prince of Peace, Lord of Lords, Master, Savior, Messiah, etc... He also has the title of "Friend" for many people. Tonight, Jesus is my friend, and I am relying heavily on His friendship.

When everyone else is against me, or when I am alone, or when it is 2:30 AM, Jesus is the only friend that shows up. And He stays too. I am so thankful for Jesus' friendship.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trivializing who He is by calling Him a buddy or a friend. I know full well that He is also the Master of the Universe, the Alpha and the Omega, and the Almighty Word of God. I know all that. But sometimes I just need a "warm and fuzzy" friend from Heaven and Jesus is always there. He never leaves me alone. I hope you realize that He can be like that for you too.

You see, there are other faith traditions on the planet that see God as some sort of energy or impersonal force, not a God that you can have a real relationship with. God is an idea, or a theory. But not us. Our God has flesh and bones. Our God gives Himself to us again in the Eucharist at every Mass, and in so many other ways throughout our days.

If Jesus gave up His life for us, then why do some people think He is not also there with us in the little events of life? He loves us so much that He remains with us - to give us strength to get through our days. And some of our days are pretty rough, aren't they?

I'm coming off of a rough couple of days myself and the next few don't sound that great either. I am counting on my friend Jesus to be with me. I hope you can do the same. Come Lord Jesus, Come dear Friend and be with me, and anyone else who is reading this little blogspot.