"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Apr 19, 2010

Shooting for sainthood and missing....

How many saintly people are living in your church? Your neighborhood ? Your family ? Your workplace? Are you a saintly person? I want to be, but sadly, I am not. It isn't for lack of trying. I just don't think I have it in me to be a saint. If I ever make it to sainthood though I will probably be the patron saint of mistakes, or those having trouble keeping their mouths closed, or for those who eat too much chocolate after 6 PM. Realistically though, I think they would make me the patron saint of dead animals on the road because every time I see a dead animal on the road I say a prayer for it. Seriously.

But, let's get on with the topic of living a saintly life, shall we? Do you know any holy people? I know three. I can never be as good or holy as they are. They are always even tempered. I am not. They have confident faith on a consistent basis. I do not. They are optimistic in times of trouble. I am not.

I have a deep desire inside to be a saint, but the realities of life are strongly proving me otherwise. Sometimes I think I should just live in the confessional. I should wear a t-shirt that just says "I'm sorry" every day.

I keep thinking that if I pray enough I will eventually change. I have made some changes, but it is gruelingly slow work. God doesn't make junk, and I believe that. I am not junk. But He is the potter and I am the clay, and I think He will have to break me back down and start me back up on the potter's wheel many times over before I will even resemble being a saint.

I am not going to give up though. I may cry oceans of tears before it happens, but that is my goal. I am counting on all the promises we have been given - God's grace, peace, mercy and justice. Plus we have all the Sacraments. Today I asked the Holy Spirit to pour out His gifts on me so I can be who I am called to be.

We'll see. If I can just get through tomorrow without putting my foot in my mouth or being overly sensitive about something, I will consider that a victory towards my cause of sainthood.

Lord Have Mercy. Jesus, I trust in You.