"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Mar 13, 2010

The Breath of God

Today is a very windy day. Rainy too. But my thoughts are focused on the wind. Have you ever heard the saying "If God stopped thinking about us we would cease to exist"? I love thinking about that. It tells me that God is so very close to me at all times. Closer than my heart beat. Closer than each thought.

For me, whenever I feel a breeze, or in today's case, wind, I imagine that it is the breath of God surrounding me and giving life to everything. It is His invisible touch that touches my cheeks, tousles my hair, and sometimes, dries my tears.

When I experience strong winds like we are having today, to me it is the power of God in action. Perhaps He is doing something important that I'm unaware of? Perhaps he enjoys pushing the sailboats on the water? Perhaps He likes watching the leaves twist and turn and pirouette in the air? Or perhaps He likes to give wind to help the birds fly faster? Perhaps He just wants to remind us that He is close by and is trying to get our attention?

We are still in Lent...but I'm reminded of the story of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples like a "strong driving wind" and gave life to the Church.

I'm also reminded of a poem I once heard. It is so short so I was able to memorize it. I don't remember who the author is but it goes like this:

Sounds of the wind
sounds of the sea
makes one happy
just to be.

The breath of our incredibly loving God breathes on us daily. He gives us life just as He gave life to the Church on Pentecost. When we breathe in the air, we breathe in His Holy Spirit. That's what I believe anyway.

Speaking of the wind...it is getting really strong out there and my lights are starting to flicker. I think perhaps, the power might go out. Perhaps God is trying to tell me to get off the computer.

I can take a hint, Lord, so I'm signing off.
Good night (or day) to anyone who is reading this little blog.