"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be, and becoming that person."

St. Therese









Mar 9, 2010

Get your Soul in the Box

Several years back I created a relay race that I use on teen retreats. It is called "Get your Soul in the Box". It is corny, but fun, and gets a big point across.

Each team has to get all their teammates to walk several feet with a cotton ball stuck on their nose with the use of vaseline. The vaseline keeps it stuck there just long enough for the person to walk several feet and then they gently blow the cotton ball off their nose into a shoe box. The winner is the team that gets the most cotton balls in the box when the final bell rings. It can be hard because sometimes the cotton balls fall off and they have to go back in line and start again.

I explain to the teens that the cotton ball represents our souls, and we are responsible for taking care of them and keeping them clean as we journey through life. The vaseline serves as a symbol of our faith, the "glue" that keeps our souls from falling on the dirty ground and getting soiled. The blowing of the cotton ball off their own nose represents the work of the holy spirit helping to get their cotton ball in the box - a.k.a. - the box represents the confessional/reconciliation room. Once they understand the symbolism they really seem to take the relay race more seriously and work hard to get as many "souls" in the box as possible.

It is corny but it works. The teens get the symbolism easily and it is a metaphor that they'll remember their entire lives. Plus, they have a lot of laughs doing it.

Usually after this activity, I have them all sit down and I give a talk about Reconciliation and how important it is for the health of their souls and how keeping one's soul clean and pure helps them to be better people and more open to the work of the Holy Spirit. Later in the retreat they usually have an opportunity to receive the Sacrament.

At times, when they've returned from the Sacrament, I hand them each a fresh, new, clean cotton ball "soul" to take home with them and it is really neat to see how carefully they handle it, as if it were their real soul. I've met teens months after the retreat and they've told me that they still have their cotton ball "soul" and their parents don't understand why they are so attached to it and won't throw it away! But keeping it is a reminder to them of the importance of staying pure and going to Reconciliation.

For me, one of the greatest phrases in the world is what the priest says at the end of reconciliation: "I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit".

I don't understand why more Catholics don't appreciate the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It is truly a healing Sacrament and helps to keep our souls, hearts, minds, and bodies on the right track in life.

I went through a period of time many years ago when I was "against" Reconciliation and refused to go for about 7 years. But that was only because I didn't understand it. Once I had a correct understanding of this Sacrament I became a big fan and, even though sometimes it is hard to go becasue of my sinfulness, it is well worth it.

In this Lenten season 2010, if you haven't gone to confession / reconciliation in a long time please do. Your priest will help you out if you are nervous and you will soon see its incredible benefits.

So, what are you waiting for? Get your soul in the box !